Tamil Nadu-Tribal Golden Handshakes
#GS1 #Salient options of Indian Society #Variety of India
- Tamil Nadu is residence to a number of indigenous tribal communities, such because the Irula, Kurumba, and Paniya, who’ve traditionally lived in forested areas and relied on pure sources for his or her livelihoods.
- Many of those communities have confronted displacement and lack of their conventional lands as a consequence of varied growth tasks, together with dams, mines, and wildlife sanctuaries.
- The federal government has tried to handle these points by offering compensation and resettlement packages to affected communities. The “Golden Handshake Scheme” is one such initiative, which presents a lump sum fee and different advantages to households who comply with relocate.
- The scheme is supposed to be voluntary and dignified, and households are presupposed to be consulted and concerned within the decision-making course of. Nonetheless, there have been considerations raised in regards to the adequacy of compensation and the transparency of the method.
- Some communities have refused to relocate, arguing that the compensation provided shouldn’t be sufficient to compensate for the lack of their conventional lands and lifestyle. Others have accepted the provide however confronted difficulties within the resettlement areas, reminiscent of insufficient infrastructure and lack of primary facilities.
- The federal government has additionally launched different measures to handle the problems confronted by tribal communities, reminiscent of offering authorized recognition to their conventional rights and organising establishments to advertise their welfare.
- Nonetheless, regardless of these efforts, the scenario of many tribal communities in Tamil Nadu stays precarious, with persevering with threats to their livelihoods and cultures. There’s a want for extra complete and sustainable approaches to handle the underlying causes of their marginalization and exclusion.